Wednesday, September 1, 2010

a blur (m)

August blew by.  No real change in weight....up 2 pounds, minus 2 pounds.  Even my mother (my biggest fan and harshest critic) said "give yourself a break".  So, I'm taking it easy, getting ready to gear up for the next big push starting the Monday after Labor Day.  As I think about my weight, I usually gain every summer.  This, traditionally, is the time I pack it on.  Not Fall, not the Holidays around December, not the doldrums of February and March, but summer.  My goal, therefore is to come out of this week holding steady at minus 66 pounds.

The month has flown by.  Here are some highlights:

-Babysitting Charlie-my brother's dog stayed here for 3 days.  He allegedly is house-trained, but I did not experience that.  He left little "packages" in different rooms and soiled a couple of rugs.  I sent him home early.

-Visiting Lyn's parents-an annual excursion.  Giant lobsters, great salad and some cupcakes.  I had a cupcake and some red wine at my cousin's house.  My cousin, we learned just this year, lives around the corner from Lyn's parents and has for years.  We just connected the dots when I blogged about the wedding.  It was their daughter who got married.  That was a fun night.

-Abby drops in- my college roommate and dear friend stopped by this week on her way to Logan from her summer in Maine.  She came with her daughter and their two labradors to spend some time before they got on the plane to San Francisco.  Two hours later, they were back for the night since the airline wouldn't board the dogs because of the high outside temperature.  A fun sleepover with two friends and two large dogs.

-My mother takes medicine to help her sleep.  She finally relented to taking some prescription meds to help with her anxiety which I'm sure is brought on by the need to have open heart surgery.  She wouldn't take the drugs for two weeks because she was afraid she would become addicted.  At 85 years, who cares if you're addicted?  Instead, she'd call us at all hours and say she couldn't sleep.  I told her to give me the meds and I'd take them because "one of us is going to sleep."  She took them.  The stress of worrying about her took a toll on me.  I didn't realize it until she started sleeping again.

-Sam comes home from Australia.  I got a nice pair of UGGS gloves.  My husband got a bottle opener made of kangaroo balls.  Yes, balls.  Sam got home around midnight and left for school 14 hours later.  We had to turn around laundry in record time and help him pack the car for a year at school.

-My knees are as bad as ever.  I got fitted for a brace. It comes tomorrow.  I'm not proud of this but I am excited.  When I was being measured for the brace, the guy noticed alot of swelling around my knee.  I may have to bite the bullet and get these knees operated on.  I was so hoping not to have to do that.

As I look back on a busy month full of little surprises and/or disruptions to my routine, I am proud that I have been able to at least maintain my weight.  In the past, any little "curve" would derail me. 

Now, I go with the flow and stay the course.  If the ship swerves left or right, I know how to get it back on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment