Friday, August 6, 2010

back to the cape (lyn)

Alexander and I meet Valerie (my sister) and Abbey for the drive back up to the Cape.  Since we are meeting them in Stamford at 8am, we pack some food for the car.  Between the bagels and fruit Valerie’s brought, and the VitaMuffins and red grapes I’ve packed, we have ample food for the five hour trip.  Yet we still stop a couple of times for something to drink.  When we pull into a Wendy's around 10, Alexander wants french fries.  I tell him it's too early, but the real reason is that I know I'd be tempted to sample a few if he were eating them in the backseat next to me.

We arrive around noon, just in time for lunch.  We pick up subs at Deans, the local deli place that specializes in complicated-sounding sandwiches,  all of which are a variation of ham, cheese, turkey, chicken, tuna or chicken salad.  Valerie and I split the Vermont something,  a ham and cheese sub with honey mustard. 

It’s hot here, so after lunch everyone decides to go to the beach for a couple of hours.  My dad stays home as he pretty much hates the beach.  As we are sitting at ocean’s edge talking, Valerie (who never minces words) observes the bathers passing by.  “There’s a lot of heft here.  You probably even looked good here last summer.”

I look around and realize she is probably right.  But then I remember.  No;  I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment