Thursday, August 19, 2010

the golden palace (lyn)

Everyone’s been so easygoing about meals that when my mother says, “Let’s have Chinese for dinner,” I say fine, even though I rarely eat Chinese food.

In previous years when we would visit, my parents frequented a place called The Hong Kong House.   While the food wasn’t bad, Alexander and I both had an aversion to the place.  First, the waiters were mean.  We were there once when the owner started screaming at a man who was complaining that his pick-up order did not include the right things.  Another time my parents placed an order and wanted to change it, but were afraid they might offend the waiter and didn’t, even warning us not to intervene on their behalf.  And the décor was pretty tacky.  A large plug-in velvet painting covered one wall of the dining room.  

A few years ago there was a fire at The Hong Kong House so my parents switched their allegiance to The Golden Palace.  This restaurant is in nearby Bourne, in a little strip mall.  Whenever we go there, we are one of maybe three tables occupied.  My mother claims they do a big takeout business.

Tonight we arrive and are immediately seated;  only one other table is occupied.  A sweet waitress who appears to speak no English comes to take our order.  My mom tries to convey to her that she would prefer her usual waitress, Susan.  (Apparently, Susan "understands what we want, and always remembers to bring extra noodles and duck sauce.")  But our waitress just smiles and continues to stand in front of us ready to take our order.  My mother politely asks again for Susan.  The waitress again seems not to understand.  After a few back and forths my mother finally is able to get across her point, and our sweet waitress leaves.  

We now have to wait about fifteen minutes for Susan who is "busy on the phone."   Alexander and I are convinced that this is punishment for requesting her. 

Uncharacteristically, everyone orders their own meal, since we all want different things.  My dad gets the Hunan pork, which he alone prefers spicy.  My mom gets fried egg foo yung which neither Alexander nor I would consider eating.  Alexander ties with my mom for the unhealthiest meal and gets the sweet and sour (fried) chicken.  I order from the diet section of the menu and get the steamed shrimp and vegetables (which are delicious).

We are the last table to leave, and it’s only 8 o’clock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment