Sunday, August 8, 2010

eating light (er) (lyn)

 It’s 7:30 am and my mom and I are the only ones up. I have a cup of coffee in my hands, and am barely awake when my mom asks,  “What should we have for dinner tonight?  I want something easy so I can enjoy my day at the beach.”  It’s another weather-perfect day.

I am still feeling full and guilty from last night and food is the last thing on my mind.  Tonight it’ll just be five of us as Valerie and Abbey left to drive back to NY very early this morning.

“I know,” my mom says.  “I think I’ll make marinated baby back ribs, with french fries, corn, and a salad.  And I want to finish the berry pie.” 

What I hear is, “What is a really fattening, unhealthy, 50-point dinner we can have tonight?” 

I don’t want to be difficult but I really can’t eat big again.  Fortunately, my mom agrees that I can be exempt from this meal. 

I go to the local fish store and buy 8 cooked shrimp and lobster meat, along with fresh corn from a local vegetable stand.

My mom and I spend the afternoon at the beach.  We come home around three, but I return again around six with Sally and Alexander.  Sally has asked me to take some photos of her for her yearbook.  She’s a beautiful subject and I end up taking over 200 photos of both her and Alexander on the sand, in the grass, in front of trees, and on the jetty.  

Wild Harbor Beach 



Sally



Alexander and Sally
We’re home by 7, and the thought of making and then eating a lobster salad does not feel right.  Too much food.  Instead, I opt for two ears of unadorned corn, a tomato and onion salad, and the shrimp.  Everyone else has the more fattening option, but I‘m not even tempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment