Saturday, August 14, 2010

knowing math (lyn)

I haven’t been to a WeightWatchers meeting since I was in Chicago.  Since then, I’ve been on vacation from tracking.  I’ve not even thought of going to a meeting.  In fact, my plan was to return to New York on the 22nd, track for a week, and then go.

I wake up this morning around 8 and surprise myself by deciding to run over to the local Saturday meeting, just for weigh-in.  It may ruin the rest of my vacation, but I want to know.  I've gone from weighing myself every morning to not weighing myself now for two weeks.


I forget my socks, can’t find my ww book, and don’t have my lifetime membership card with me.  I get to the meeting and tell the grim faced weigh-in person  that I’ve forgotten my socks.  In New York, they wouldn’t care, but here, in North Falmouth, they do.  You can’t step on the scale without them.   “You have two choices,” the weigh-in person named Kathy says.  “You can take off your shoes and I’ll weigh them separately first.”  Okay, I think, and wait for Option Two to be described, except that Kathy has stopped talking and is awaiting my decision.    So I assume that my other choice is to weigh-in without shoes.  So I say, “Okay, I don’t care.  I’ll just weigh-in with my shoes off.”  “You can’t do that,” she admonishes me.  Maybe option two is to skip weigh-in entirely, but since this is the only reason I’ve come, I go with the first option.

Kathy weighs my sandals.  “Three-quarters of a pound,” she says aloud.  Then she asks me what my goal weight is, as I cannot exceed it by more than two pounds in order to maintain my lifetime status.

Now I’m getting nervous.  I think my goal weight was 124.  Or maybe it was 126.  Is it possible that I’ve gained that much since the 118.2 I weighed on August 1 in Chicago?

Still unsmiling, Kathy hands me a piece of paper and says, “We are not allowed to say anyone’s weight out loud.”  This place really follows the rules.

I look at the paper.  It says 118.8.  I’m shocked and happy, say thank you and leave.

But now I wonder if she subtracted the shoe-weight correctly, or did she deduct the .75 for the shoe weight as 7.5 pounds?  I can only hope that Kathy’s good in math.

No comments:

Post a Comment