Saturday, August 7, 2010

eating heavy (lyn)

Today’s weather report for Cape Cod: 
Gorgeous.  Sunny.  Breezy.  Warm but not steamy.  A perfect beach day.

We decide to be like everyone else, and go to the beach early to set-up.  It’s a weekend so Wild Harbor’s small private beach will be crowded.  We load up six chairs, the same amount of towels, an umbrella (which we don’t end up using), bags of suntan lotion, books and magazines.  The cold water, fruit and snacks will come later.  We stake out our territory at the high water mark.  Many other large parties have already done the same.

Except for me, everyone eats their lunch at home. I pack mine for the beach and arrive a half-hour before the others.  One of my favorite things to do is eat lunch while reading a good book, with the Atlantic Ocean at my feet.  Weight Watchers feels like a thing of the past.  The only remnants of a reminder are the 15 Pringle Lights that I eat along with half an Italian sub. 

Val, Abbey, Alexander, my mom, and Sally (my 17-year old niece) arrive by 12:30. We talk.  We laugh.  I read about four more pages of North River.  The conversation is too good to ignore. 

We leave the beach by five, shower, eat some crackers and cheese (that I don’t really want but eat because they're there), play some gin with my mom, and soon it’s time to head over to Mashpee Commons for dinner.

We have a reservation for 7:15, which is an hour later than my parents would prefer, but they are very accommodating to the time-preference of the rest of us.  The restaurant, Sienna, is a very non-Capey place.  It feels more like a city restaurant.  High ceilings.  Slick décor.  Big menu with nothing fried.

I forget about WW again.  We order a thin-crust pizza as our first appetizer.  My big concession is skipping the second appetizer.  But I do eat the warm bread (one and a half pieces) mainly because the oil-garlic dip is so good.

For dinner I have swordfish and ratatouille.  Sounds fairly healthy but the fish has a capers cream sauce on it which probably adds about 200 calories.  I try not to think about that and eat everything.  We all skip dessert and have only coffee or tea.  I did have a good-sized piece of a homemade multi-berry pie last night, so I know I should not have a major dessert tonight.  Besides, I am more full than I can remember being in months.  (Obviously I’m not tracking while on vacation).

After dinner we decide to stroll around Mashpee Commons, this little shopping village where no cars are allowed.  As we are walking, Abbey says, “Who wants ice-cream?” and Sally and Alexander (both tall and thin) say, “I do.”

We go inside and then of course everyone decides that they will have ice-cream too.  I order a chocolate chip cup with a sugar cone on top.

The last Weight Watchers meeting I went to was in Chicago, a week ago.  The topic was “Eatathons.”   I feel like I’ve been on one since arriving here on Friday.  I better stop or soon I’ll have no clothes to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment