Thursday, August 12, 2010

lunch in amherst (lyn)

Alexander and I spend the night at Jean’s, but we’re on the road again (just the two of us this time) by 7:15, arriving at Amherst two hours later.


Amherst is a quaint New England town. We love the white churches and the common green in town.  It’s the only school we’ve visited that shows a sense of humor.  Both our tour guide and the student in the info session are charismatic, funny, and articulate.  They are both the kind of people we’d want to know.

We love everything about the school, except the fact that getting in is near-impossible.


After our tour, we head into town for lunch.  There are many local places to choose from.  Sushi.  Thai.  Fusion.  Italian.  Persian.  French.  And American.  After asking around, we select Judie’s.  “Popovers, creative, eclectic food,” we are told.  We get there and there’s a line.  But we can bypass the line if we want to sit at the bar, which is what we decide to do.

We are handed a four-page menu of all different kinds of salads and sandwiches, along with an insert of daily specials.  Everything sounds great, but fattening.

But then I see a section designated as “ The Littles.”  Under it are options that sound good and healthy and relatively small.  The waitress comes over.  As I’m about to order, I notice an asterisk next to the littles that reads, “ most likely under 1,000 calories,” or words to that effect.  I lose my appetite and we leave.

Now it’s getting late and I don’t want to take the time to sit down for lunch.  I don’t want to get on the road and hit rush hour traffic.  I can hear my mother whispering in my ear, “If you don’t leave soon it’ll be bumpa-ta-bumpa getting over the bridge.”  Poor Alexander.  After the promise of an interesting meal at a popular Amherst restaurant, we end up at a Subways .  Not exactly what I had imagined for our lunch in this quaint New England town.  But at least it wasn’t 1,000 calories.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment