Saturday, August 21, 2010

the last supper (lyn)

The final day of our trip is usually spent in the same way.  Gorgeous beach weather.  Some time actually in the water on an inflatable float.  Talking with my summer friends.  Saying good-bye and wishing everyone a good winter.  And a two and a half pound lobster dinner.

Tonight, just like last summer, M joins us.  Before arriving, she calls and asks if we need dessert.  “No.  We are all set.  Don’t bring anything,” my mother tells her.  She totally ignores this response and arrives with a stunning set of place mats for my mom, an exquisite and unusual set of spoon chimes for my dad, a small makeup case filed with La Mer sample products for me, and a box of six cupcakes, each beautifully decorated and different from the next, for dessert. 

Without prompting, my mom immediately notices the change in M since she saw her last summer.  And I cannot help but notice her all over again.  She really looks sensational.  

Finally, a picture of the two of us:
My mom makes a fabulous dinner.  Two and a half pound lobsters for everyone (except for Sally who’s allergic to them), crab stuffing (not exactly healthy, but worth the points it’s so good), salad, orzo, and baked mixed vegetables.  My dad is in awe of M.  He could just sit and listen to her hilarious stories for hours.  M can find both heart and humor in the mundane.  Even the two teenagers at dinner are in no hurry to leave the table.

It’s the perfect end to a perfect vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment