Sunday, September 4, 2011

a nice, non-eventful day (lyn)

The thing about food is that you can never really escape it.  Temptation is everywhere.  And even after one year of being at my desired weight, I am acutely aware of what I put in my mouth.  I don’t like when the scale tips above 121 point anything.  Today I’m at 122.2.

It’s a humid, sunny day.  Shari and I spend it walking around the west side.  I meet her around 12:30, having eaten only a 100-calorie bagel with lox and cream cheese and a cut up peach. I’m thinking this will hold me until dinner.  It doesn’t. 

We walk through the park and end up at Loehmann’s--- for almost three hours.  I feel compelled to buy something after so much time looking, and settle on two Michael Starr white tops…down from $60 and $57 to $14.99 each.  The cotton is lightweight and comfortable; I see myself living in both of them.   

Next we walk over to the Sunday Flea Market at 76th and Columbus; it’s been there for at least 15 years, maybe longer.  Shari becomes fixated on the antique jewelry and we are there for an hour.  I get restless and hungry and see only non-snacking foods for sale. Pickles, olive oil, and some kind of strawberry and nut preserve.  As Shari continues her quest for a vintage necklace, I see a man selling fruit on a stick, dipped in dark chocolate.  I choose mango over the other choices of banana and kiwi (which I imagine to be miniscule).  Not only is it delicious, but it's only 100 calories.  Maybe it's worth the $4 it costs.

We make one last stop, Zabars.  It’s been months since I’ve had Schick’s 7-layer cake.  I buy one.  By now I’m sticky and hot and don’t want the chocolate on the 7-layer cake to melt, so we take the bus home, instead of walking back through the park. 

I have sushi again for dinner and then meet Zelia and Victoria for dessert at 16 Handles.  I’ll save the cake for a lighter eating day.

No comments:

Post a Comment