Sunday, April 15, 2012

bread (lyn)

Passover for me usually consists of two secular Seders on nights one and two.  This year, for inexplicable reasons, I decide to modestly observe by not eating bread.  It shouldn’t be that difficult, and it isn’t.

For the eight days of Passover, I pretty much skipped breakfast, which is fairly typical, so not eating bread in the morning was easy.  For lunch, I mostly ate one of three things:  soup, salad, or yogurt.  I missed having tuna on pita, but the sacrifice was a minor one.  Dinner was fairly easy.  When I’m eating at home, which I did all week, there is no temptation to eat bread.

Now if I were really observant, I’d have eaten on different plates, and had a home devoid of all items containing barley, wheat, rye, oats, and spelt.  I didn’t do that, but I did do something.   The potato latkes, chocolate jellied candies, and the 7-layer-for-Passover cake balanced out my lack of bread.  I started and ended the week at exactly 123.2 pounds.

Today I have a scone for breakfast.  Perhaps I should think in terms of Passover being a year-long holiday.



No comments:

Post a Comment