Saturday, March 5, 2011

bad eating, good day (lyn)

Beautiful spring-like day.  I get up and go over to the Farmer’s Market.  I buy the usual: peasant bread for Alexander, some apples, fresh cider, and something sweet for breakfast.  I buy the $4.50 5x8 apple cake.  A great deal for both its size and excellence.  I get home and eat two slices with coffee.

Alexander comes home from his morning of tutoring in Riverdale.  In his hand are two huge pieces of carrot cake that Zelia has generously bought us.  She takes the kids to school on Saturday and today makes a stop at Lloyd’s Carrot Cake before driving home.

Alexander makes his usual for lunch:  grilled mozzarella on peasant bread.  I take out the prosciutto I bought a week ago that is still fresh and decide to add some fresh mozzarella to it.  My sandwich is on a100-calorie bagel.  It’s a small concession.

Alexander is going to a party and is not leaving until 10.  We decide on a quick dinner of pizza.  Our new favorite place, Gotham Pizza, makes a great thin-crusted Margherita pizza: fresh mozzarella, homemade marinara sauce, virgin olive oil and fresh basil.  We each have two pieces followed by the over-sized slice of carrot cake.

In between the food, I meet Robyn at a wig store in midtown, I read some of an enjoyable book (One Day by David Nicholls), I speak to my mom and my dad is recovering beautifully, I talk on the phone with a few friends, I watch some TV, and I hang out with Alexander. 

I may have eaten poorly, but today is a good, if uneventful, day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment