Tuesday, March 15, 2011

oh what a night (lyn)

Seven of us meet at Zelia’s to pre-game, as Zelia’s daughter calls it.  I decide to wear a tight black dress in celebration of being almost 60 and thin.  I feel so grown up.  We drink wine and have appetizers.  Shari arrives with a big bag from Banana Republic.  We never buy each other gifts, but I guess my friends have decided that a big 0-ending birthday deserves one.  Shari hands me the bag that contains a box, sized to fit a sweater.  I open it up expecting a nice top from Banana Republic. It feels light.  Maybe a mesh camisole for spring?  That would be nice.   Underneath the layers of tissue paper I see only a hand-made card. 



It takes a while for me to realize what the card says.  I mean, why else would a picture of Steven Jobs next to the just-released iPad 2 be included among the pictures of my friends?  I don’t want to be presumptuous.   But yes, the gift-to-come is what I think it is. I am truly overwhelmed by my friends’ thoughtfulness and generosity.

Before leaving Zelia’s, everyone acquiesces to my request for a picture.  I think we all look great.




Corinne can’t make dinner (she has a friend in town she hasn’t seen in 12 years and this is the only night she’s available), but the rest of us go out to Parlor, a local steak restaurant. We are seated at a perfect table: in a corner and round.  Shari orders for all of us.  Uncut romaine with an amazing Caesar dressing.  Four medium rare strip steaks. Sides of onion rings, brussel sprouts, creamed spinach, and mushrooms.  It’s not a meal where points are pondered.  One of the multiple desserts includes a candle and the words happy birthday written in chocolate.  I make a wish or two.

All the women are Horace Mann moms, with the exception of Robyn who fits right in.  The conversation turns to the school.  What we like and what we don’t, and similar to any school, there are a lot of both.  By going to Horace Mann, I believe Alexander has received an exemplary education in an idyllic location.  He has some very nice classmates, but most importantly, he is happy.  Were it not for Horace Mann, I, too, would not have the friendships I now have. Am I glad Alexander chose to go there?  Absolutely.  It’s made both our lives richer.

60 doesn’t feel so bad when it’s cocooned in so much good.  I am one lucky birthday girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment