Sunday, March 6, 2011

doggie diet (m)

As part of my "better neighbor" program, I am trying to be more accessible and helpful to my friends on my street who have always been there for me and my family when I worked, traveled and, especially, after my aunt (who lived with us and took care of the boys) died.

On Thursday, my neighbor S asked if I would take care of her little cockapoo dog for the weekend.  At the last minute, she had to go to LA to see her daughter in a performance.  The husband is in Florida watching their son who is playing baseball against the Red Sox. 

Of course I said yes.  This little dog is such a pleasure to be around.  She's a "lady" with excellent manners.

The dog arrives on Friday morning.  My neighbor gives me typewritten instructions and all the gear (bowl, food, snacks, gloves for picking up you-know-what, etc).

I notice two things about the dog since she last stayed with us:  she's gotten older, as evidenced by the white around her nose and eyebrows and, she's gotten fatter.

My neighbor notices me assessing her dog.

"Yes, U has put on some weight. My husband spoils her with treats.  Maybe you will be a good influence on her."

I know it's a dog, but the fact that someone thinks I may be of help to anyone or anything on the weight loss front is a huge compliment.

U and I went for hour-long walks Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Instead of 4 treats per day, I gave her 3 (she did not seem to miss the fourth).  Instead of putting hamburger on her kibbles, I put turkey.

I petted her lots and let her sleep in my room on a nice, soft mat (they forgot to give me her blanket).

About 30 minutes ago, the phone rings.  My neighbor is back from LA (she took the red eye).

I get the dog all packed up and say goodbye.

The dog is happy to see her "mother."  As they turn to leave, my neighbor instructs the dog to "give M a kiss goodbye."

The dog comes over to me and gives me a lick on the cheek.  Her owner can't thank me enough.

Honestly, the pleasure was mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment