Thursday, March 31, 2011

living in the mountains (m)






The Dolomites are spectacular.  No camera can capture the three-dimensionality and depth of the mountain range.  Forward. Back. Left. Right.  Every where you look is breathtaking.

The air is thin and I am breathless.  Even the athletes notice a big difference. 

Also, being in the mountains means there is limited flat terrain.  You either are walking up or down a hill.  My knees are killing me.  I feel the way I felt when I had all the weight on me again.  Breathless, sore.

I settle into my room and decide to explore the town.  It is a picturesque little village from out of a storybook.  The coffee shop is called The Mozart Cafe.  Lots of hot chocolate and croissants and tartes and other pastries.  I avoid that and head to the bath shop where I buy a bar of Rance soap in a floral sent.  I decide to use it everyday to feel good.  It's a tiny splurge but keeps me from eating a chocolate croissant.

I walk back to my room.  I have to cross the lobby, walk down a long hallway, walk up a half flight of stairs and then up three sets of stairs to get to my room.

I get in my room and I'm exhausted.  I flop onto my bed and fall asleep before dinner.

No wonder these people look so good here.  Between the mountain air and the exercise, they are fit and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment