Friday, March 11, 2011

the unexpected (lyn)

Surprise #1
David, out English-challenged doorman, rings up and says, “You have a delivery from Eddie’s.”  “No I don’t,” I say.  Eddie’s is a little corner market a block away.  I shop there sometimes, but I’ve never had anything delivered from there.  I hear David talking to the delivery person and the next thing he says is, “No, I'm right, it’s for you.  He’s coming up.”  I open my door and there’s a guy there holding a gigantic fruit basket with three Happy Birthday helium balloons attached.  It’s from Edible Arrangements, not Eddie’s.  Karen, Tim, Sam and Rebecca have sent it.  I am so touched, and wish I could run down the hall, hug them, and say thank you.  Ireland is so far away.



Surprise #2
Washington University in St. Louis is close to the top of Alexander’s college list.  Yesterday, the school said they’d be posting results by April 1st.  This afternoon Alexander receives an email from Wash U saying that decisions are up.  Just login.  Click on the decision notification link, and voila: 

Congratulations! On behalf of the Admissions Committee 
and the faculty of Washington University, I am delighted to 
offer you admission to the College of Arts & Sciences Class of 2015.

Then they offer him a weekend campus visit.  All expenses paid.  We are over the moon thrilled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment