Saturday, March 26, 2011

flying (lyn)

On December 10, Alexander and I sit in front of my computer and read of U Penn’s decision to defer him.  It is sad for both of us.  A few weeks ago, while he’s at school, Alexander asks me to logon to a site that has announced their decisions and the result is positive.  He then says, “Okay, from now on, you can see the decisions first.”  Well, so far that strategy has worked beautifully.

I have become addicted to a site called College Confidential.  Other anxious moms write.  I feel I’m not alone.  All the what if’s….so many of them.

The last two weeks of March is traditionally the time when most colleges release their regular decisions. This is what March Madness is really about, not the NCAA.  So today I am going to boast, because I cannot contain my excitement.  I am so ecstatically happy. 

The decisions of top schools can really go either way.  It feels almost random.  Because each school receives so many more qualified kids than they have spaces for, it is more common than not for a qualified student to get waitlisted or rejected.  Some even refer to the selection process of the very top schools as a lottery.  So luck, without doubt, plays a role.

But when nine top schools say yes, they want Alexander, can anyone have that much luck?  Perhaps they see what I see that my son has never seen:  a terrific kid with that little bit of something special.

Here’s a recap, with some details.

U Michigan: ACCEPTED
This comes via email on December 17. 

U-Wisconsin: ACCEPTED
I just happen to logon to their website one night in December, and there it is, the magical word, Congratulations.

Washington University in St. Louis, College of Arts and Sciences: ACCEPTED
Unexpectedly, an email arrives on March 11, inviting Alexander to log on to their site.  The news is good; I text Alexander who is at school to call me.  He is beyond thrilled when he hears the news. The official letter he later receives says, This year we received a record number of nearly 29,000 applications for our freshman class of 1,500.”  This is one of Alexander’s top choice schools; he even considered applying early but decided instead to go for a high-reach school.  

Cornell, College of Arts and Sciences: ACCEPTED
Like the other ivies, Cornell officially releases their results at 5pm on March 30.  So we are taken totally by surprise when Cornell sends an email on March 14, which we expect to say, “We will be posting results on March 14.”  Instead it reads, Your application to Cornell University has been reviewed by the admissions selection committee, and I am writing to tell you that you will be offered admission to Cornell.  Although the Ivy League schools won’t officially notify students of their admission decisions until later this month, we wanted to share this good news with you know."  Cornell is also a school Alexander considered applying to early.  He ‘s been invited (at their cost) to visit for a weekend.  He’s planning to go up on April 17-18, and is so excited.

Northwestern, College of Arts and Sciences: ACCEPTED
This comes as an email on March 14, totally ahead of the schedule we were told. 

University of Rochester:  ACCEPTED
This big envelope arrives on Friday, March 25.

Colgate: ACCEPTED
This big envelope also arrives on Friday, March 25.  All letters that begin Congratulations are fantastic letters.  But this one is particularly special as the Director of Admissions handwrites a little note.  He quotes something from the teacher recs, which Alexander has never seen.  So on his acceptance letter the dean writes, “Someone who knows you well told us, 'he has a voracious appetite for knowledge and a strong will to grow as a human being.'  After receiving your application we can see why, Alexander!"  The letter also states, “The admission process this year was highly competitive.  We have received applications from more than 7,700 talented students for 760 places in the class.”  It is disappointing, though, to also receive in the packet a letter from the Financial Aid office saying we don’t qualify for need-based aid.

Hamilton: ACCEPTED
At 8pm on Friday, March 25, I click on the site and read in big bold letters, “Congratulations on your acceptance!”  The financial aid package is just okay.  It is interesting how different schools interpret "meet 100% demonstrated need."

Vanderbilt: ACCEPTED
I’m walking out the door Friday night around 8:45 to go to a party at Penny’s.  I’m in the lobby and my doorman says, “Oh, you got an envelope.”  I look at this big envelope from Vanderbilt that says on the outside, Congratulations, and it’s as if I’ve never seen a Congratulations letter before.  Each one is truly thrilling and feels like a first.  I later read on this school’s website, “Vanderbilt received a total of 24,756 applications for the class of 2015, a 14 percent increase from last year. As of the mailing day, 15.45 percent of those applicants were offered admission.”  This morning, I go through the package and find a financial aid folder.  (Hamilton and Colgate are the only other schools that have included a decision on financial aid at the same time as the decision).  I need to re-read and re-check what I’ve read several times.  It is a staggering amount.  Vanderbilt has moved to the top of Alexander’s list.  He is falling in love. 

We are so thrilled.  I have never seen Alexander more happy.  We are counting the days until Wednesday, when he hears from his top three schools, Duke, Penn and Dartmouth.  These are among the true lottery schools.  Decisions are released at 5pm for the Ivies, and 6pm for Duke.  We are both nervous, but as I tell him and he agrees, “Whatever the outcome, no one is going to feel sorry for you.”

I wake up smiling and get up early, smiling.  I am flying without wings. 


(I know this post has nothing to do with dieting.  It's just that sometimes the news is so good it overwhelms everything else.)

2 comments:

  1. Mary Alison Cottman5:24 PM EDT

    Amazing for both of you and there was no doubt in my mind that Alex would get in everywhere. He is a very special young man. Best of luck with the rest of the schools and I love your blog!
    Mary Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post yesterday and kept thinking about it all night. Very, very exciting!! Gave me goosebumps when I read it. My son is a sophomore - we are at the beginning of this process. Can't wait to hear where Alexander ultimately ends up going.

    Love your blog! Goes well with my coffee every morning!!

    ReplyDelete