Wednesday, March 9, 2011

cleaning kitchen cabinets (lyn)

I’m one of those people who will not keep an item one day beyond its sell by date.  Everything in my refrigerator is fresh …no expired anything. The same is not true of my cabinets, which I decide to clean today. 

Why does some dried pasta have expiration dates while others do not?  And does rice really expire?  And what about canned tuna?  These are things I was brought up to believe never expire.  But then, my mom is not the best source.  A few years ago when I was on the Cape and cut myself on the beach, she took out some bacitracin that had expired 22 years prior.  I’m not joking. 

I toss hundreds of dollars worth of food, some still unopened.  I consider making a donation to a food bank but worry that if the sell by dates are meaningful, I could potentially harm someone (though I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick on quinoa). And really, who would want expired flour, baking soda, baking powder, Ritz crackers, cooking sherry, six packages of Rice-A-Roni, and a can of pumpkin filling, among other equally attractive offerings?

My nine cans of tuna are good for a couple more months.  And it’s too bad I no longer eat pasta.  I think I have enough to take me through Alexander’s college graduation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment