Saturday, March 12, 2011

a memorable night (lyn)

Over the years, Jill and I have celebrated many of each other’s birthdays, especially the ones that end in zero. 

Jill was living on the upper west side when she threw herself a big, outdoors, 30th birthday party.  Unlike most New Yorkers, Jill actually had a backyard.  When I turned 40, Jill secretly plotted with my mother and arranged a spectacular surprise party for me at a NYC restaurant.  This was when we were working together at CBS and going through a difficult time.  In fact we were barely speaking.  That all changed after the party.  And when Jill turned 50, three summers ago, I was included in that joyous celebration.  So tonight, in recognition of my upcoming 60th, Jill is taking me to dinner.

A typical night out with Jill goes something like this.  One of us will email the other with a suggestion.  Usually for a play or movie.  We’ll make a plan, and meet at the venue fifteen minutes or so before it starts.  (Before WW, we usually had dinner prior).  We’ll fill every second with talk.  Jill always has newsworthy stories to tell, and when I’m with her, mine seem to surface too.  Then, the movie or play will begin.  On our way out, we’ll talk another few minutes (we usually head in different directions) and promise each other that next time, we need to do something where we can actually spend time together interacting.  Jill is one of the most interesting people I know and I feel more interesting when I’m with her. 

This week Jill sends me an email with two restaurant choices.  I pick Duane Park, the one Jill describes as having live jazz and burlesque.  I wish I had something feathery to wear.  I don’t.  So I wear instead my usual…the black pencil skirt I’ve come to love, a white top over a tight light pink cashmere v-neck sweater, and short motorcycle boots to make me feel a little more hip for my trip downtown.


The restaurant is charming.  It has an old world feel.  I go to the ladies’ room and when I come back there’s a card on my plate.  Jill writes beautifully and she’s given me a card, thoughtfully and poignantly written.  I am truly touched.

As expected, our dinner is filled with non-stop sharing: of funny stories, fears and insecurities (more mine), the sometimes challenging events of being a single mother (we both are), daily living, and friendship.  The food is excellent.  I have my favorite appetizer, a tuna tartare, followed by Branzino, and a blueberry almond tart for dessert.  We split a bottle of fine red wine, and the evening flies by.

The burlesque show is a lot of fun.  The MC is androgynous; the two strippers are not…just smiling girls with perfect young bodies.

Jill has taken the time and effort to make this evening a special one.  And it is.  From the venue to the food to the unusually entertaining show, it’s a perfect night. 

In Jill’s card to me she writes, “I feel a special honor in helping you welcome this next chapter in your life…. You have never been in such a healthy place, mind, body and spirit and that alone is cause for celebration.”  For me, the real celebration is knowing that I get to call a person like Jill among my small circle of very close friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment