Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14th (m)

Birthdays tend to be memorable on their own, but mine seems to be linked to even more significant events. 

Two years ago, we were in Florida for Sam's baseball game.  I got a phone message from my mother, wishing me a happy birthday.  At the end of the message, she said she loved me...the first time she ever said it.  I keep saving that message so that it still is on my cell phone.  I played it this morning as I could not imagine my birthday without "hearing" from her.

One year ago, we were in the midst of a birthday dinner when we got the phone call that my brother Phil's basement had flooded and they had to evacuate per order of the fire department (but only after my size two sister-in-law retrieved her Spanx from the laundry room).  Rain continued to fall for two weeks, like something out of the Bible.

Today, my dear friend called to tell me her mother passed away.  I will always remember Mrs. H as the most independent woman I have ever known.  World traveler.  Award-winning gardener.  I vividly remember her commandeering her large boat across a bay as she took us bridesmaids on a picnic before A's wedding.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and the picnic baskets were filled with chilled lobsters and blueberry muffins.  She was in complete control, looking glamorous in her straw hat which set off her steely blue eyes.  Mrs. H made a strong impression upon me and I will be forever grateful to her for bringing my dear friend, A, into the world. 

Rest in peace, Mrs. H.  The world just got a little less interesting.


M

No comments:

Post a Comment