Thursday, March 17, 2011

a girly afternoon (lyn)

Valerie is spending the day in the city so we decide to meet.  First stop is Intermix, which describes itself as “a fashion boutique for trendsetters.”  It’s the perfect store for my sister who is a walking ad for all things chic.  I had planned to stay home, relax, and do nothing, so I now need to reorient my day, and think about what to wear and can I go one more day without washing and blow drying my hair?  I decide, yes.  Before leaving the house, I even put on mascara, remembering Valerie’s comment once that “No one our age can look good without it,” or something like that.

We meet at the store around 11, and start looking around.  I see something and ask Val what she thinks.  “Now that you have a nice body you should buy clothes that show it off.”  I pick out a little striped elastic skirt.  “That’s too short.  It’s for someone much younger.”  I gravitate to the solid colors while she is more adventurous.  Valerie has exquisite taste and always looks, as my mother would say, “Put together.”  All my clothes tend to look the same.  I experiment and try on a multi-colored form-fitting jersey dress that only looks good on the hanger. Next, I try on a grey and white cotton dress, also tight.  When I ask for Val’s opinion she gives it.  “It might look good now but it won’t after one washing.  It’s not that special.  I wouldn’t get it.”  I wish she could be my personal fashion consultant.  I happily leave the store empty-handed.

It’s a gorgeous spring day and we decide to go to T-Bar.  It’s filled with women having a leisurely lunch.  I’m still full from last night’s dinner, and have only a beet and pear salad.  I am relieved when Valerie doesn’t want to split an order of fries.

It’s a nice afternoon.  Perfect weather.  Shopping without buying.  Eating well without guilt. And hanging out with my sister.  A beautiful start to this new decade.


No comments:

Post a Comment