Wednesday, March 2, 2011

injury and interview (lyn)

I go to Weight Watchers this morning…haven’t been in three weeks.  I step on the scale and am down .6.  I weigh 121.2.  I hope it’s a good omen for the day ahead.

I come home and listen to my messages.  One is from Alexander.  “Hi mom, I just wanted to let you know that I bumped into someone in gym, but don’t worry.  I’m fine.  Really.  Nonno is picking me up and we are going to the hospital.  I have to have stiches near my eye, but really, I’m okay.”  I call right away and he sounds fine.  He’s with his grandfather and by the time it would take me to get to the hospital in Riverdale, he’d probably be back at school.  I also need to prepare for my first interview in years.  It’s for a consulting position at a TV network. 

First, what do I wear?  It’s television, and I know suits aren’t the norm.  I start with my black pencil Wolford wool skirt, black hose and black leather boots.  I add a black sweater from Ann Fontaine.  Too fancy looking.  Maybe the skirt is too tight too.  I try my favorite all-purpose Chanel black-brown-beige skirt.  Too big.  On another day that would have made me happy.  I go back to the too-tight skirt, and top it with a black velvet fitted Anne Fontaine jacket.  It’s not too cold today, so I wear a black wool cape trimmed in fox.  I leave the house feeling glamorous.

I arrive early and play Scrabble on my iPhone while waiting.  The interviews go well I think.  I’m fluent in the television language, and both interviews feel more like conversations.  I leave feeling good.  I’m not sure if I’ll get the job, but I’m confident that I prepared well and adequately conveyed my skills and enthusiasm.  Now I have to wait a few weeks and see if the feeling is mutual.  Lately I’m feeling that life is one big competition.

I get home around five and Alexander is there.  Five stitches above his eye.  Poor thing, he looks like some hairs on his left eyebrow have gone wild.


No comments:

Post a Comment