Tuesday, September 15, 2009

cooking with my mother (m)

My mother comes to my house every weekend and does laundry. It's an Italian thing.

She's been after my weight forever and I have to come clean and tell her I joined Weight Watchers. You'd think this would be a nice exchange but, you see, she's a tad passive-aggressive. I knew the outcome would net positive, but there'd be a few digs to bear. She didn't disappoint.

Me: Listen, I joined Weight Watchers on Friday so I have to shop for healthy foods.

Her: I don't believe it. You'll never stick with it. But you need to do this so you don't croak soon. You're as big as ever. You look like Mama-Nonnie (my father's mother who was enormous and bed-ridden for 20 years. My cousins and I still don't know why. Was it the weight?)

Me: Thank you.

We shopped for all the things on the list...fresh produce--lots of vegetables and fruits. Light bread, PAM, spray salad dressing (only 2 calories per spray!), 100-calorie popcorn bags, etc.

When I got to check-out, I thought I picked up someone else's cart as the one I was pushing looked totally unfamiliar. Sigh.

Sunday was cooking day. We made the Zero Point Soup! We cut celery! We steamed haricot vert! We boiled broccoli! We washed strawberries! By the end of the day, I had 16 bowls of healthy things in my fridge. I was armed, if not excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment