Wednesday, September 23, 2009

life happens (m)

Twenty five years ago, on a day much like today--sunny, dry, slightly breezy--I got married.

I wore a beautiful Princess Diana inspired dress and was at my fighting weight.  Looking back at the pictures, I shook my head in amazement that I never felt I was thin enough.  A perfect size ten, yes.  Perfect?  No. 

My bridesmaids all have gained weight (two of them you've "met" in this blog).  So have all of the guests.   So, too, the groom.  That made me feel less of a truant, but none of them have as far to go as I have.

I put the pictures away and focused on the present.  Dinner out tonight with our best man and his wife.  How to plan for that?  First, I saved as many points during the day as I could.  Just coffee for breakfast (McDonald's is having a "free coffee" promotion all this week--I went through the drive thru and they asked where I had been.  Was I that much of a junkie?).  A meeting in Boston (water) and then I had seven hours to kill.  By 11 a.m. I felt lightheaded.  I got a turkey sandwich with lettuce and mustard and ate half.  Definitely took the edge off.  I drank more water and ate a small apple.  Good.

Two o'clock in the afternoon.  Four hours to go.  I took a nap and killed some time.  I took a bath and killed some more time.  I'm going to make it.

Got to the restaurant at six.  Let's have cocktails!  Why?  I'm ready to eat.  Why does this world revolve around alcohol?  Can't we just sit down at the table and order dinner?   We sit down and the best man (God bless him) starts with a toast.  The same toast he read at our wedding.  I remembered he had it translated into Italian.  It was very touching and prophetic (he wished us great children, much wealth among other things).  Michael, the best man, knows the owner who leaps out from the kitchen to explain our "very special anniversary dinner".    The bread basket arrives.  Get it away from me.  The appetizers arrive --a sampler for each of the four of us.  Asparagus wrapped in proscuitto, stuffed mushrooms, gorgonzola cheese stuffed inside peppers, fried zucchini.  I break down and eat it---no I inhale it. 

How many points?  Who the hell knows?  I had a vision of a pinball machine where the ball gets caught up in those rubber thingies and points rack up like crazy.  I remember there are 35 points to play with and you can't "roll over" (like phone minutes in those tv commercials).  Otherwise, I'd be mortgaged into November.

Next course, a surprise.  The chef's signature butternut squash ravioli.  I'm totally screwed at this point.

Dinner was baked haddock and grilled vegetables.  I did resist all but one teaspoon of the dessert.

By the time I got in the car, I was hoping I hadn't gained weight this week.  Forget about losing weight.

I got home and my younger son had a surprise for us.  He baked us a cake!  Happy Anniversary!

I licked a little of the frosting, thanked him profusely and went to my room.

Life happens.  Roll with it.  Tomorrow's another day.

1 comment:

  1. I, too have a major anniversary coming up - twenty years, this Thursday. I think you did great by saving points for later in the day. I will try to do the same. Best to go to dinner not starving, but that is hard and you are still a beginner. Give yourself a break. You're still married after 25 years and you have a lot to show for it - not just extra pounds! :)

    ReplyDelete