Saturday, September 26, 2009

dear followers (m)

As some of you know by now, my mother stays with us on the weekends.  She's my biggest fan and harshest critic.  I know she would love to see me thin again.

This morning she asked about yesterday's weigh-in.  Two point two pounds, I said.  She rolled her eyes.  Clearly, this was the wrong answer.  That's the average for Weight Watchers, I said....two pounds per week.  "Why, you're average?" she snorted. 

Phil, my brother, suggested we have a mother-daughter bonding session at an apple orchard/vineyard.  It was just a ruse to pick up dandelion wine for him--something he's "always wanted to try".  The place was a circus with hundreds of people.  Try steering an 84 year-old amidst a crush of people in a rickety barn with warped flooring. I was relieved to see the wine section so close to the front door.  Here, try some wine, I told her.  She sampled the peach wine.  "Awful".  Okay, how about this (dandelion).  "Cat piss" she proclaimed.  She wanted a cider donut but the line was too long.  She settled for a raspberry scone.  "Want some?" she asked.  No thanks, I already had lunch (pita pocket, turkey, lettuce and mustard and a small apple.  Breakfast was Special K, skim milk and a nectarine).

On the way home, we stopped at the Clam Box in Ipswich--one of her favorite haunts.    Huge line. Two hours later, she had a plate of fried clams and onion rings.   I got an unsweetened ice tea. "Want some?" she asked.  No thanks, I'm all set (I wasn't).

"Why are you sticking to this diet?" she asked

Why, indeed?  What's the difference between this time and all the other times?  Two things:

1. Weight Watchers--it's healthy, simple and proven.
2. You

Yes, you.  Our followers.  I feel accountable to each of you.  To the woman who is "rooting for me in cyberspace" and to my friend, Michele, who is offering me tips and taking the time to comment on some postings.  And to Hazel who says this is motivating to her.  And to Mary who got me thinking about Weight Watchers because she joined and then went with me to my first meeting.  And to my nephew, Chris, who thinks I'm brave to be putting myself out there like this, exposing my feelings.  And most of all, to my son Sam who admitted to reading this blog every night.  It's a nice way to connect with him.

So, Followers, I appreciate your support.  Hang in there with me.  This is going to take time.

And by the way, I'd love to know who follower "proffer 98" is.

1 comment:

  1. More than happy to be hanging in there with you!!! I love it and it helps me stay focused too.

    ReplyDelete