Wednesday, September 23, 2009

not horrible, but not amazing either (lyn)

Almost two pounds.  One point eight to be exact.  That’s all I lost this week;  I was hoping it’d be more, but at least it’s something.  At the meeting this morning, after weigh in, I learned I hadn’t prepared right.  Unlike M who had a whole strategy for her weigh-in, I had none.  In fact, I had coffee and an English muffin with jam before the meeting.  How stupid was that.  At the meeting, I told the “class” about this blog, and encouraged people to join.  So far, no one has, but maybe they will.  One older woman approached me after class and said, “I think what you are doing is great, but could you please explain to me exactly what a blob is!” 


People at the meeting discuss the difficulty of tracking what they eat, but I do it on line and actually like the approach.  It’s funny, now that I am committed, I like the discipline of recording every meal.  When I am at home, I know I can follow the rules. 


After the weight watchers meeting I dropped by my friend Zelia’s house and upon seeing me she commented that I really did look thinner.  At a loss of less that two pounds, I doubt I really do look thinner, but it was encouraging to hear her say that as I know Zelia, and she is a friend who never sugar-coats.  Zelia was living in her home country of Brazil this past year, and in March, Alexander and I visited her in Rio (she has a son and a daughter who are in school with Alexander and about the same age).  One day Alexander, Zelia’s son Rodrigo, and I spent an afternoon at Ipanema Beach, and I came home with a lopsided tan (one side of my face was burnt, and I had a red circle around my left eye).  With characteristic bluntness, Zelia looked at me and said, “You look like a little monster.”  So I know today she was telling the truth.


At night I went to see an off-Broadway play that my friend Meredith had opted out of (we have a subscription to Playwright's Horizons where this play was performing so the ticket had already been paid for).  Charles Isherwood of the New York Times  had described the play we were seeing as “a boring bust,” and that was kind compared to other reviewers.  So Meredith didn't go and I couldn't give the ticket away.  To make up for what I anticipated to be a boring night of theater, I thought I'd at least get some exercise in.  The humidity was about 100% .  By the time I'd completed my 3-mile walk, I was drenched. But still I thought, this is good.  


A part of me wants to fast-forward to Thanksgiving and see if I'm down 10 pounds, but I love autumn in New York and my son (who'll be leaving for college in two years) and I wouldn't want to fast forward through either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment