Sunday, September 20, 2009

weekend review--you can have that? (m)

I made the mistake of telling several people around me that I am doing Weight Watchers.  I now feel as though I am on one of those reality tv shows where the camera follows you everywhere.

Even though I am about 99% compliant with the program, everyone is questioning my every choice.  I've carefully explained the point system to whoever will listen, shown people the dining out guide ("See, Filet-O-Fish is in here if you want to use the points that way") and been so good especially when compared to my previous patterns (more like the opening scene in The Miracle Worker where Helen Keller grabs food from everyone's plates).

Last night, my younger son heard me folding a bag of candy.  STOP-don't eat that he remonstrated.  Calm down, I'm folding the bag to put it in the cabinet where I don't have to look at it.  At dinner in the restaurant, my mother saw me put a teaspoon of olive oil on my salad: "You can have that?"  Yes, I said.  Then the fish with the bread crumbs on the top:  "You can have that, too?" Yes, I said.  Then the zucchini and brown rice: "You can't have that, can you?".   AAAGGGHHH.  Finally I said, don't ask me another thing unless I eat an entire cheesecake, okay?  Well, I'm just trying to help, she said....I think you may have lost one of your chins this week and I want you to keep going.  You were starting to look like the bartender in Casablanca.  Nice.

But there is one bright spot besides the weight loss itself.  It's the support from total strangers.  One person wrote: "you have a friend in cyberspace rooting for you".  I was very touched by that.  I thought of it several times today and it helped me get through my day.

If you are reading this and want to offer support, I'll take it.  I've never asked anyone for anything before, but I think this will help so much.

Thank you, friend.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:20 PM EDT

    Two words. Tootsie Pops. 60 calories. No fat. Takes FOREVER to finish one. One tootsie pop has saved me from eating (again) fried dough, cake batter, Hersheys Cocoa (straight from the box- I was desperate for something sweet...)and an entire angel food cake. These are things I would've happily eaten if not for those little Tootsie Pop saviors.

    ReplyDelete