Sunday, July 18, 2010

beach, family, and over-eating (lyn)

It’s in the high nineties again.  CNN is reporting that this is the hottest summer on record.  Valerie invites Alexander and me to spend a day at her beach club.  Can’t wait to escape this oven-like city.  We get to Penn Station where it seems there are millions of others with the same idea.

We arrive at the beach club around noon, and the four of us (Abbey comes too) immediately have lunch.  I’m feeling good in my now-fitting yellow tankini, so I order safely: a mish salad (something I’ve never heard of before).  I choose the one labeled healthy vs. regular.  It’s good and filling-- lettuce, a scoop of chicken salad with lo-fat mayo, tomatoes, dried cranberries and balsamic vinaigrette. 

The beach is crowded but cool near the water.  We go for a long walk, and I marvel silently at the beauty of Long Island beaches.  They really are spectacular.  I am so glad I live in the Northeast.

The conversation that dominates the afternoon is good, despite being told that:
  • I really need to color my hair…nothing ages a woman more than showing grey roots; 
  • I should have brought makeup (at least mascara) for tonight’s dinner as no one over 50 is beautiful enough that they can go out wearing only blush and lipstick; and
  • even with the keratin treatment on my hair, I can’t expect it to look good without blowing it out.

Fortunately no one notices that my legs need waxing.  A good tan covers a lot.

Abbey and Alexander discuss potential colleges, and by the time their conversation ends, I think Alexander has identified the 15 schools he’ll likely apply to.  

We reluctantly leave the beach around five, as we are meeting Abbey’s mom, Jason and his girlfriend, and Adam for dinner at “the club.”

Dinner at the club is always an event.   I look around and notice that most of the women (all well-dressed) are fit and small.  Doesn’t matter their age.  And most of the men are tan and rotund, with varying size paunches they make no attempt at hiding. 

Dinner consists of a gigantic gastronomical feast.  Buffet style.  First we get the salad.  Since I had one for lunch, I skip the lettuce (big sacrifice; I know).  I take lots of fresh nova, tomatoes, a little crumpled blue cheese, and olives.  Not too bad, until I add a scoop of lobster salad.  Thankfully it isn't deserving of a second round.

For the main course, I choose the outdoor grill, and select ribs.  They are amazing.  It takes some restraint to not add a hot dog or burger.  The barbecued chicken is easy to pass.  I add some broccoli to give the illusion of healthy.

I overdo dessert.  A small piece of cinnamon cake, a chocolate chip cookie, a sliver of apple pie, and coffee.

Even if I added a pound today, it was more than worth it.  Corny as I know it sounds, I really enjoy my family.  And now that I'm skinny again, I don't feel frumpy and fat next to Valerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment