Monday, July 5, 2010

a great fourth (m)

The Fourth of July has always been my favorite holiday.

When I was a kid, our city put on a huge parade down the middle of Broadway.  Drum and bugle corps from Greater Boston would march in the parade.  I loved the pomp and circumstance.  I loved the fact that my father's large family would all meet in the same place every year.  I loved it when my cousin Anthony played the drums and saluted us one year.  I loved the toys and balloons sold by the vendors.  I would beg my father each year for something.  One year, I had to have the bamboo stick with the monkey on the end of it.  It wasn't until I got it home that I understood what my father meant when he said "What the hell are you going to do with that?'  I missed  only one parade....the year I joined St. Anthony's drum and bugle corps.  How ironic...I joined to get up close and personal and be part of the scene and I was left behind to clean the bus,-picking up wrappers of Ring Dings and Bazooka gum while the parade was going on.

These days, I love the Fourth of July for other reasons....there are no gifts to be bought and wrapped, no house to decorate (our flag is always up) and, above all, no big meal to make.  Pure pleasure.

We had four events to attend over the weekend.  Here are some of the headlines:

Saturday

-Woke up, weighed myself.  A new low.  Felt great.
-Wore white pants and a black v-neck tee shirt, red Cole Haan sandals and coral beads to a pool party.  I was channeling Jackie O with the outfit, but I think I'm the only one that made the connection.
-Saw the parents from Sam's high school hockey team.  No one noticed my weight loss. No one. Haven't seen these people in over a year.
-Pool party host caught a large tuna.  Wife seared it.  I ate some.  Divine.  Made a note to buy a boat so we can have fresh tuna all the time.
-Stopped by my brother Phil's house in between parties.  His dog bit my shirt and ripped it in the back.  Little bastard.
-Went to my friend Susan's house.  Saw her gorgeous new patio.  Susan said I looked "great."  High praise coming from Susan as she is very honest.  She told me today that my tee shirt was too big.  I'm not ready to downsize my tops just yet as I'd feel "exposed,"  but I know she's right.

Sunday

-Made 40 sandwiches for the crowd at my brother's beach house.  20 tuna. 10 PB&J, 10 turkey (including my own turkey, lettuce, mustard on the flat 1-point bread).  Labeled bags and put my name on my bag.
-Picked up the aunties and my mother to go to the beach.  T and the boys went in a separate car.  Aunt X said I looked good "even from the back."   She said this as I was loading Aunt Y into the car and my butt was facing her.  I'll take it.
-Walked 2 miles on the beach with T.  Hot as Hades.  Went for a swim sans cover up.  I must have been on fire to do that.  Played paddle ball with the boys and my nieces.  Absolutely crippled myself...knees were popping and clicking the rest of the day.
-Saw a friend whose son went to high school with Sam.  He said "boy, the weight is peeling off you."  His wife didn't notice.  Usually, the men don't notice.
-Went into the cooler for my sandwich with my name on it.  Gone.  Had half a tuna sandwich with mayo.  Pissed.
-Left the beach at 6:30.  Showered and dressed.  Headed into Boston to pick up my good friend, V, to go to another party.  V said she noticed the weight loss, especially in my chest.
-V, T and I go to Legal Seafoods first, even though there is food at this party and the hosts own several restaurants.  We decide we don't want lobster rolls, fried chicken and apple pie....the menu at the party.  I get a small boiled lobster and T who wanted "nothing at all" eats all my vegetables.
-Go to party on roofdeck of penthouse overlooking the Hatch Shell where the concert is playing.  V looks like a million bucks...white pants, exotic blouse from Asia.  Hostess Kathy looks great as well, wearing a size 2 halter dress from Thailand ($20).  I loved the print.  Made note to go to Thailand and buy several of those dresses and sew them together until I had enough material for a skirt for me.
-K introduces me to the woman who lost the gubernatorial race this year in Massachusetts.  She starts talking politics, but really, what I notice is that she looks great in tight white jeans and a striped shirt.  The camera really does add weight.  Made a note never to run for office as I do not want my body televised.  Also decided that if I ever rocked tight white jeans the way she did, there would be no way I would lose an election.
-Ate some meringue from the soupy lemon meringue pie.  V got me a little plate with meringue since there's no fat in there.  I asked her how the other food was and she said "They've hit a new low."  I think maybe she was trying to make me feel better about not eating.
-Drank two glasses of sangria. Got a slight buzz.  It was woth the points.


All in all, a glorious Fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment