Tuesday, July 20, 2010

then/now (m)

And so it begins.  Another year of skating competitions.

The big summer competition happens at the same time each year.  Same place.  We stay in the same hotel.

I vividly remember one moment last year.  It had nothing to do with skating and everything to do with my weight.

I was in the hotel room, in the bedroom and the closet doors were mirrored.  I bent down to pick up something and caught my reflection in the mirror.  It was the moment of truth for me.  I never in my life imagined that I was that big.  I knew it was bad, just not that bad.  I couldn't believe it.  How did I not know?  How did I let this happen to myself?  I wanted to hide so that others wouldn't see me.  Then I realized they already saw me....it was I who was just now "seeing" myself.

Fast forward to this year.  Minus 60 pounds.  A big dent.

This year's memory is very different.  I was standing outside in front of the rink, talking to one of the mothers and caught my reflection in a window.

I was smaller than I thought.

What a difference a year makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment