Tuesday, July 20, 2010

working out (m)

The "gym" in this hotel is a bit of a joke.  Two treadmills, a recumbent bike which I couldn't operate and some stations which I couldn't figure out. 

The room was warm and I couldn't find the thermostat to decrease the temperature.  The large, flat-screen television was tuned to golf.  Yuck.

A man who looked exactly like General Stanley McChyrstal, the Iraqi War general who just resigned, was on the treadmill on the left, pounding the thing like he was angry.  I convinced myself that it was he, but of course, he wouldn't be caught dead in this fleabag of a hotel.

I got on the treadmill and started the warm up.  I looked straight ahead and saw my reflection.  Why would someone position the mirrors here?  All I could see was that my shirt was too big and my bra straps were showing.

I revved up the speed so as not to look ridiculous next to the General.  He was flying at this point, running.   I was going as fast as my legs would move and thought I was doing well until I noticed that the brand name on the treadmill belt moved at twice the speed on his than it did on mine. 

I wondered what he thought of me. Did he think "poor thing?"  or "I wish she'd fix those damn bra straps so I don't have to look at them," or "Good for her. At least she's working out."  I decided I didn't care what he thought as someone who made grunting sounds as he did was in no position to judge me.

After 30 minutes, I broke a sweat.  My face was beet red and there was perspiration dripping. 
I waited until he left the room to use the weights to tone my arms.  Ali my trainer says muscle burns more calories than fat.  I need to keep my newly-developed muscle from atrophying.

I then took a mat out and put a towel over it and did sit ups. 

After an hour, I was done.  I drank two glasses of water and went back to the room

Harrison deadbolted the door and put the bar across so I couldn't open it with my key.

I knocked, he opened the door, took one look at me and said: "Impressive."

I did this three more times this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment