Wednesday, July 7, 2010

when an activity point is not an activity point (lyn)

I intend to walk to my WeightWatchers meeting (about a mile) but as soon as I step outside I feel as if I’ve mistakenly walked into a large brick pizza oven.  It’s ghastly.  

I see a bus and am soon on it.  The bus driver is a prickly, unsmiling man.   I ask him what the nearest stop to 93rd street is, and he tells me he doesn’t know.  

I get to class and am not surprised to see that I’ve gained some weight.  I’m up .8 pounds from last week.  I know 121.8  is still good.  Just not as good as the 120.6 I was when the summer started.

I take a bus home because at 100 degrees,  it’s just too hot to walk.  And besides, I’m not even sure that the salmon I bought for dinner could survive the fifteen minute outdoor trip.

I check my email and see that Meredith has sent me an article entitled, “How Many Calories Have You Burned?”  It shows calories burned per hour, by body weight.  Walking Brisk is just 220 calories (for a body weight of 120 pounds, 310 if you weigh 170).  So for me, that’s not much better than:

·    Archery: 190
·    Bowling: 165
·    Eating (sitting): 80
·    Food Preparation: 135
·    Reading: 70
·    Sitting Watching TV: 55
·    Sitting:  Writing/Typing:  100

 But it's still worse than:
·    Cleaning: 270
·    Gardening: 275


Running at 10mph is 880, except I don’t want to do that.


So according to this article, today I estimate I’ll burn about 922.5 calories:


¾ hour sitting and eating: 60
2 hours reading: 140
6 hours doing various activities on the computer: 600
1 hour sitting and watching TV: 55
½ hour food prep: 67.5

This would be the equivalent of walking at a brisk pace for 4 hours and 11 minutes, or, 8 activity points.


Should I count them?   If only...

No comments:

Post a Comment