Tuesday, July 20, 2010

tax-free (m)

In order to kill time and avoid eating, I went to Best Buy to look for a lap top computer so that I could blog.  I was sick of waiting in line for that broken piece of crap of a machine at the hotel "business office" that sounded like it was percolating coffee every time you clicked on something.

I went in to buy a Dell and surprised myself by chosing an Apple computer instead.  Before I bought it, I checked with Apple online.  I got Joanna the service rep from Apple. 

"Hey...I remember you!" she said.  Turns out, she processed an order  for me from a long time ago.  She had all my information at hand.  I couldn't believe it.  Of all places. 

We talked for a while and Joanna gave me all sorts of discounts you can't get at the Apple store ( I told her I guest lectured at business schools and got an education discount along with my corporate discount).  I told her I wanted to blog and asked if she could send the computer to me in Delaware.

"Delaware!" she exclaimed.  "There's no tax in Delaware!"  It was like one of those Progressive Insurance commercials where the representative wants to help you save as much as possible.

In the end, I ordered the computer and had it shipped (free) to the hotel. 

Empowered by this tax-free information, I then went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought a bathroom scale.

Between the healthy stuff in the fridge, the new computer en route, the scale and the little gym, I felt in control of my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment