Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the spa (m)

After a tax-free shopping spree where I bought a lap-top, a scale and a new charger for my phone (which, alas, didn't work because the port on the phone is broken), I sought out new ways to kill time and not eat.

There's a spa in Delaware that is very nice.  I went there 3 years ago and liked it because the robes fit.  Unlike the ones that wrap and tie and are made for people who weigh 130 pounds or less, these robes are like big smocks which button down.  The first time I tried it on (while crossing my fingers) it fit with room to spare.  I wanted to kiss everyone in the salon.  Instead, I packed the robe in my large purse and left an enormous tip.

This year, I went in to have my eyebrows dyed...a procedure that is illegal in Massachusetts.

Carmella waxed and dyed my brows.  She asked if I wanted them to match my hair (as opposed to what... a red color?).  I lay on the table and almost fell asleep in the quiet zone.  They serve refreshments here.  I had a Pepperidge Farm Chessman cookie and a glass of water. 

Two days later, I went back for a massage.  The masseuse, an Israeli woman born in Jersusalem, had healing hands.  Must be all those years in the Holy Land.   I fell asleep on the table.  Something I never do. I then took a long shower and sampled the shampoo, conditioner and in-shower body cream.  I skipped the cookies and had green tea.  Because I showered, I washed my face then realized I didn't have any make-up with me.  The salon offered a complimentary make-up session.  J did my make-up and said I have beautiful eyes.  I left another big tip.  I love this place.

The last day, I had reflexology for my feet and a manicure.  The woman who worked on me had just written a book about being adopted.   It's debuting on Amazon next week.  I tried to help her figure out how to find her birth father.

When it was time to go, the woman at the desk, the masseuse, the manicurist/reflexology person and Carmella came out to give me hug and say good-bye.

I booked another appointment...for one year from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment