Sunday, July 25, 2010

working on sunday (lyn)

It’s another brutally hot day.  


I awake early and make some coffee.   Later, I create a new open-faced sandwich combination---100 calorie bagel thins, a thin layer of tuna fish, topped with 1 ounce of nova.  I figure about 4 points.  


The humidity has made my clothes wrinkled before I even leave my apartment.


I walk 7 blocks to the subway and already I’m dripping wet from the heat.  No one seems to be out.  The city is quiet.  Most people are probably at the beach.  Either that, or in air-conditioned places.  I walk down 68 stairs to the lower level of the subway (at least that's some exercise) and board the train to Roosevelt Island.  Only one other person is in my subway car.


I get to Roosevelt Island.  Walk to two buildings.  Call on 3 apartments.  No one is home at any of them.
I take the train back to Manahttan and walk over to 65th Street.  It’s afternoon now and the sun is at its strongest.  Four more buildings, 13 apartments, and not one person is home.  Sweat is dripping down my face, my chest, and even my legs are wet.  It hardly seems worth the $75 or so I’ll earn today. 

By the time I get home, I've probably lost 3 pounds of water, but still.  There has to be a better way to earn some money.  I just can’t seem to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment