Sunday, August 7, 2011

from feast to famine (m)

Sunday.  Day after the 40th anniversary.  I awaken with a mild headache.  I remember something about Limoncello at 2 a.m.

The headache gets worse when I remember that, in one hour, I have to be fully dressed and headed to Rhode Island for a 50th wedding anniversary for someone with whom I worked.

T and I drive down to Rhode Island in a torrential downpour.  The wipers, on full speed, can't keep up with the rain.

We get to the party which is in a beautiful clubhouse overlooking the ocean.  The ocean is wild, waves beating against the rocks.  I'm chilly just watching this dreary scene.

Appetizers are out...some cheese and crackers and passed hot hors d'oeuvres (crab cakes, chicken).  T and I take a pass, not wanting to spoil our dinner.

The guests of honor show up an hour later.  By now we're hungry.  There's a brief champagne toast and then they cut the cake. 

Did you catch that?  They cut the cake.

There is no dinner.  The appetizers are gone.

We eat cake and go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment