Friday, December 18, 2009

dinner at shari's (lyn)

Today is the final day of school until January 5th.   To celebrate the beginning of vacation, the last night of Hanukkah and the Sabbath, we are invited to dinner at Shari and Stewart’s.  Shari is a very close friend, and she has two sons, one is a classmate and friend of Alexander’s. 


My mother has given me good advice:  don’t remind people that you are on weight watchers. My dietary needs are of little interest to others.


But Shari is a dear friend and an outstanding cook.  She tells me in advance that in deference to me, she is serving no appetizers.  I’m relieved, because it is hard to resist anything that Shari makes.


Shari serves roasted veal that is simply prepared, but better than any roast I’ve ever eaten.  The harticot vert are prepared in butter, and I’m reminded of how much better food tastes with butter in it. I’m able to resist the rice and creamed spinach, but the garlic bread, especially the way Shari makes it,  proves to be too  tempting.  At first I say no, but Shari asks me to try a piece.  I remember our WW instructor telling us that a bite is okay.  I take a bite.  I end up eating the whole slice.  I. have a little bit of wine, a small cookie, and lots of fruit.  I estimate high and use up almost all my bonus points for the week.  What am I going to do for the holiday party Alexander and I are going to on Sunday?


I’m in awe of how easily Shari moves around her kitchen.  She instinctively knows all the little tips that can turn an average meal into a masterpiece.  She also doesn’t own a slow cooker, and is surprised that I’ve just bought one.  I decide that maybe after all, I don’t need it.  The chicken cacciatore wasn’t all that good, and really, how often will I use it?    It’s not like the Nespresso Foamer that I now use almost every morning and think everyone should own.


After dinner, the boys play video games, Stewart and his younger son watch TV, and Shari and I crawl into her bed and watch the weather channel with its news of an impending snow storm.  My fingers are crossed.


I come home regretting nothing I've eaten.  I'm just happy to have Shari in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment