Friday, December 11, 2009

who's that girl? (m)

Talked to Lyn last night.  We were discussing NBC's The Biggest Loser finale, and how the winner lost 239 pounds or 55.56% of his total body weight.   While his body looks great, the most remarkable change was in his face.  He looks like a totally different person, not just a better version of himself.

This made me think about a woman I knew from one of Sam's baseball teams.  She was fairly heavy, not obese, and not particularly stylish.  Three years after our tournament in Cooperstown, I was at a local baseball field, sitting in the stands, and this attractive woman calls to me from below.  I wave back but have no clue as to who she is.  She senses this and says "It's me...Jean".  There was no trace of the old Jean in her face.  Never saw such a transformation in my life (I think also because she got some style, too).

Anyway, driving H to school this morning, I announce I have a specific weight-loss target between now and the end of May.  I have shared this with no one, but I told him my goal.  He asks if it's doable and I say "yes, if I really focus".  Then he says, "I wonder what you'll look like".

I think about this.  I can't remember the last time I was at this target weight and what I looked like, but I know it was before he was born.  I wonder what impact it will have on him, to have his mother's face change so dramatically,  I think about Jean and the guy from The Biggest Loser.  Wow.  I would be a different person to him.

"Will this scare you?" I ask.

He bursts out laughing and says "Nice try. Don't even think about that as an excuse for not going there.  I can handle it.  You just keep going."

And so I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment