Sunday, December 6, 2009

a few of my favorite things (m)

I am reading with awe about Lyn's adherence to this program.  She weighs and measures things; she bought a crockpot; she tries the recipes. I am impressed, particularly when one considers that Lyn is within striking distance of her goal.  In a few short weeks, she will be looking at maintenance whereas I will have only scratched the surface.

I feel like someone who brought a small suitcase worth of clothes to a place that I was going to live for a year.  How can one live out of a suitcase?  Oh, sure, you can do a hand laundry every other day, but that's no way to live.  And so it is, with my food choices.  I am limited, unimaginative and looking for the easy way out.

Yes, I know I've lost over 31 pounds, but is this method sustainable?  Let me tell you why I'm concerned:  I have a very limited repertoire for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It goes like this:

Breakfast
1. one "fried"egg (in PAM) on a Thomas' lowfat, high fiber muffin (toasted, with I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray) OR
2. Special K (3/4 cup with 1/2 cup skim milk) and 1/2 cup blueberries OR
3. One VitaMuffin, toasted, with butterspray OR
4. Veggie egg white omelet (with PAM and spinach, onions, peppers mushrooms)--only if someone else makes it

Lunch
1. Pepperidge Farm 100-calorie, high fiber sandwich thins with 3-4 oz of turkey breast and mustard and lettuce OR
2. salad with spray dressing  and some chicken or turkey thrown on top OR
3. Boiled shrimp from Costco (about 5 pieces) and a side salad

Dinner
1. Fish (haddock, cod, sole) about 6 oz brushed with oil or fat free mayo and a squeeze of lemon and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.  Broiled.  Baked sweet potato with that butter spray. Salad. OR
2. Chicken with mustard and bread crumbs.  Also, broccoli (steamed) and a salad.

Snacks

apples, 100-calorie bag of popcorn with zero calorie IBC root beer, WW candy bar, low fat graham cracker with tea.


That's pretty much it except for when I go to parties.  What's interesting is that I have more choices for breakfast, then lunch, then I run out of ideas for dinner.

When I lost 30 pounds my senior year of college, I ate the same breakfast, the same lunch and the same dinner every day for 5 months.

I think I should branch out a bit.  I bought the Weight Watchers Momentum cookbook (sort of what The Art of French Cooking is to Julia Child afficionados).  I looked at it, but it looked like too much work.

I think I'll stick it out for a while doing the same thing I've been doing.  Maybe my New Year's resolution will be to really get into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment