Saturday, December 5, 2009

the second digit is a three (lyn)

Scales can now be listed among my favorite things.  Before I began this journey, I had no scales in my home.  Now I have two.  One for weighing food, and one for weighing me.  I love them both. 


My son teases me about the food scale.  When we were packing for Thanksgiving, he suggested that I pack it.  He thought it would make my plight more moving if I sat at the Thanksgiving table and placed my scale next to my plate.  “That way you can be sure, “ he mused.  Sure to startle everyone seated.  Sure to look utterly ridiculous. And sure to be the butt of jokes for many years to come.  (He really was just kidding).


Of course I would never transport my little scale out of the kitchen, but it is rather handy. I don’t weigh everything, but some things are too difficult to estimate.


I weigh the lox I have for breakfast  most mornings to make sure I stay within one ounce.  I weigh the raisenets I love to eat at the movies, to insure I don’t exceed 55grams for 5 points.  And I weigh prime strip steaks to insure I accurately account for them.  I would never eat the recommended four ounce serving.  Doubling that tastes about right.


As I write this, I still cannot believe that weighing food is something I actually do.


I also love my sleek, glass, digital scale.  My first one ever.  I weigh myself almost every morning.   I know you are not supposed to, and I know weight can fluctuate throughout the day.  But I still want to.  It keeps me grounded.


So this morning after showering, I step on the scale.   And for the first time in a very long time, the middle digit registers a 3.  Just barely, but nonetheless, it is a three. 


When the middle digit becomes a 2 I'lll be on the final stretch.  I can’t believe how far I’ve come, and how good it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment