Sunday, January 29, 2012

eater beware (lyn)

Gail sends me an email telling me she discovered that her favorite order-in sushi place got a C rating by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:   http://a816restaurantinspection.nyc.gov/RestaurantInspection/SearchDetails.do

She suggests I check out mine.  I do, and then get carried away and end up spending about an hour on the site.  

Most of the places where I regularly dine earn an A, including Ging restaurant, my favorite go-to sushi place.

I used to like ordering pizza from Giorgio’s, but not after I see their C rating for these violations, plus a few more:

  1. Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
  2. Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
  3. Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.
  4. Sanitized equipment or utensil, including in-use food dispensing utensil, improperly used or stored.
I’m probably better off eating at home, but who wants to do that all the time?  And besides, would I even get an A if my kitchen were rated?  Gosh I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment