Sunday, February 21, 2010

big! (m)

This afternoon, I started the process of cleaning my closet.  It's a large walk-in closet loaded with clothes spanning four seasons and at least five sizes.  If I had the room, I would install one of those racks they have in the dry cleaners where, when you present your ticket, they advance the rack automatically until they come to your number.

I was overwhelmed with what I saw in my closet.  Clothes stuffed together with no air in between the hangers.  My family suggested I just take a section of clothes and try them on.  It became a game.  I would go into the bathroom, try something on, come out and whoever was there in the room would shout "BIG" if something was too big.  Yes, I know I could do this myself, but it was gratifying to hear a chorus of "BIGs".

This went on for two hours and I only made a dent in my closet, but the pile of BIGs was much, much bigger than the pile of KEEPs.

Then came the decision.  What to do with the big clothes?  Normally, I would keep them, assuming my weight would go up again.

Not today.  The family weighed in saying "Get rid of them.  We never want to see you that size again."

And so, they went into boxes and bags. 

I feel a little "exposed" not having clothes in case I gain weight.  On the other hand, I know I can never go back to where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment