Thursday, February 11, 2010

slowdown (lyn)

The snow has stopped, and in the end, 10 inches falls on the city.  That doesn’t feel like a headlining event, or worthy of an hour-long afternoon TV special, as was true yesterday.  In fact, today is sunny and the snow is glistening off the roof of cars. 

The world outside my window is still quite beautiful.

Snow has caused a slowdown in the rhythm of life. Alexander gets to sleep late again, as school is cancelled.  I get to wait another week to see John, as our date last night was also cancelled.  The luncheon planned for a friend who recently had surgery is on hold, as now her two teen-aged sons will be home, and will of course need quiet in the house to maybe study. 

And I’ve noticed another slowdown, not snow-related.  This morning I do a quick calculation and realize that in the past four weeks (since January 13), I have lost only 1.8 pounds.  That’s less than half-a-pound a week.  But when I look in the mirror, and slide into my jeans, I know that if I didn’t lose another pound, I’d still be fine. 

My son is safe at home.  He appears to finally have become focused on his studies.  I’m comfortable in my clothes. 

The world inside my window is also looking pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment