Monday, February 22, 2010

the sisterhood of ww (m)

My husband calls mid-day to remind me to book a hotel reservation for our upcoming trip to Florida in March.  We are going there to watch Sam play baseball.

I research hotels in the city we'll be visiting and select one I think looks great.  I call the 800#.  They are booked solid.  I've been told by friends not to accept this answer at face value.  "Well, I do have a preferred guest membership from when I used to stay at your hotel in the Mid-West.  I was there twice per month for two years.  Can you look me up, please?"

The woman-Anne-finds me in the computer.  "Okay, I found you.  Let me see if I can find something for you.  I'll have to put you on hold."

I was put on hold for 7 minutes which was long enough for me to forget who I was talking to.

Anne comes back, informs me that we have a room.  She tells me that we have two double beds, no ocean view and no real discount on the room.  Should I take it?  Something makes me press on.  I explain to Anne that I really would like the room with the exercise equipment (it's shown on the website) as I'm on WW and I would like to work out while on vacation but am not ready to join the Spandex crowd in the hotel gym.

Long pause.  "Anne--are you there?"

"Yes, I'm here.  I was just thinking I know how you feel.  I just lost 27 pounds on WW and I've got a whole bunch more to lose.  I'm diabetic and my blood pressure is high. "

We start talking about dieting...WW...our favorite recipes...strategies for avoiding trigger foods (Anne suggests allowing yourself a bite or two of cheesecake, for example, and then spraying the remainder with Windex to destroy it).  I give Anne some encouragement and tell her if I can lose weight, anyone can.

Fifteen minutes later, Anne asks if I belong to AAA.  "Yes, I do, why?" I ask.  Next thing you know I have a room with an ocean view, exercise equipment and a substantial discount.

Anne tells me she hopes I have a wonderful vacation.

"I will now," I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment