Friday, February 5, 2010

mystery weigh-in (m)

I have lots of handbags.  Lots.  I usually stick to one for everyday and then pull out a "special occasion" one for an event like a big party or a wake/funeral.

I switched purses last Friday night when I went out with my best friends from high school--Susan, Michele and Maureen.  I wanted to look my best.  I meant to put the handbag back in its red pouch with the designer's name on it and store it back on the shelf with the rest of the gang, but I never got around to it.

This morning I went to WW to weigh in at 9:15, per usual.  My friend Elaine was behind the counter, back from Florida, all tanned and wearing a white blouse with ruffles on it.  We greeted each other and she asked how my son H did at the U.S. Championships.  Very nice of her to remember.

I searched in my purse for my WW booklet which they use to record your results.  Sh--t.  It's in the other purse.  Oh, well, Elaine says, we'll just look it up on the computer.  What's your last name again, please?  Good question: did I register under my married name or my maiden name?  I remember giving this some thought when I joined.  I think I gave them my maiden name.  No, not here, she says.  Okay, how about my married name?  Yes, that sounds familiar, she says.  No...not here either.  How about we use both names? No? Could they be hyphenated?  No!  I hate when people hyphenate their last names.. I'm not British, I say.

Okay.  Let's try it with your first name.  Not here.  Is there a space between your first name and your middle name?  Yes. Are you a monthly member? Yes.  Can you look it up by phone number? I say. No.This was getting ridiculous. 

We agree that I would weigh-in as a "guest".   I step on the scale and Elaine says "okay".  Okay what?  "Okay...nothing.  I have nothing to compare this against since I don't have your prior weight since I can't access your file."   She offers to show me the number.  No, I say, I don't know what I weighed when I started and I only get the delta each week which we can't do this week.

We both stare at each other and Elaine says "well, I give you credit for sticking with the program and showing up today."

She gives me a sticker for effort.

I have nothing to put it on as my booklet is in the other purse....

No comments:

Post a Comment