Monday, February 1, 2010

a failed experiment (m)

I used to marvel at the scientists in my company who would present the findings of their experiments at the big review meetings held quarterly: they never seemed embarrassed by bad results.  I once asked them about this and they said "in science, there are no bad results; there is just good learning".  This is why they seemed equally pleased with success or failure.

I tried the Weight Watchers' recipe for pork chops tonight.  In fact, I had my own little experiment going.  The "control" subject was the Ah-So sauce which my mother used to plaster pork chops with when we were growing up (I remember being shocked to find that pork was not neon pink in its natural state).  The "test" subject was the WW recipe with honey, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.

I took the pork chops out of the package, covered them in their respective sauces and cooked at 350 degrees for the recommended time.  I then took them out of the oven: they smelled like the floor of a barn.

Gagging, and with my oven fan on at full blast, I cut open the pork chops and placed one small piece of each type on a plate.  I forced myself to taste the honey mustard one: nasty.  Then, the Ah-So one: hideous.

I wrapped up the pork chops and pitched them in the trash.

Here's what I learned:  I hate pork chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment