Thursday, February 4, 2010

nothing's "free"(m)

Big weekend coming up: my mother's 85th birthday.  The cousins from Connecticut will be here in the afternoon on Saturday and probably will sleep over on Saturday night.  I will feed them lunch on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Sam's girlfriend "J" is coming to town and will be stopping by to visit us as well.  She will be joining us for dinner on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.  The cousins are always fun (they are the family that wears matching t-shirts for special occasions.).  "J" is a great person and very easy-going.

After I cleaned the bedrooms and bathrooms and picked up the common areas (kitchen, living room, etc)  I went shopping for groceries.  Here's what I had to navigate:

Cousin E is diabetic--sugar-free for him
"J" is allergic to wheat--gluten-free for her
My son H can't process dairy--lactose-free for him
I'm on a diet--fat-free for me.

I load up my cart, get to check-out and the cashier looks at the line-up of my items and says "you poor thing."

The total bill was over $100. 

I pay less money when the items have sugar, wheat, dairy and fat IN them than when they do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment