Monday, February 8, 2010

a perfect exchange (lyn)

In September 2007, I bought a new Sharp microwave.  The one I was replacing was over 20 years old, brown, and unattractive.  It never stopped working;  I just got tired of its ugliness.  

Last spring, I had some people over and was making popcorn.  Maybe the popcorn had passed its expiration date, but still, I wasn’t expecting a fire in my microwave.  It took vinegar, days of re-cleaning, and more vinegar.  And still, the popcorn smell remained.  Over time, I got used to it.

A couple of weeks ago I was re-heating something and a flash of red caught my eye. Forget the smell, my microwave was now becoming dangerous. 

I have been planning on buying a new microwave, but today, on a whim, I decide to call Amazon to report the problem and hope for a replacement.  A knowledgeable and friendly man listens to my saga, and then does the unthinkable.

Unfortunately, he is unable to simply offer a replacement since the model I bought is not available.  But without any embarrassing begging on my part, he agrees to refund 100% of my money. This is going so well I decide to push further and ask if he can send me a pre-paid label for the return.  He says he will, but then I ask if UPS can pick it up, as it weighs about 30 pounds.  He puts me on hold and is gone awhile.  He is being so helpful I don’t mind the wait.  After ten minutes or so he returns and says, “Okay, here’s what we can do.  We’ll refund you for your purchase, and you don’t have to send it back.”  I thought there was some catch.  “Really?  I don’t have to print out a label?  I don’t have to carry this thing to the post office?  I don’t have to wait until you receive it and then process it?  Really?  I can just throw it out?”  “Yes, ma’am.  Just toss it.”

I order a new one, and within two hours I receive my full credit.  And Staples thinks that they are easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment