Wednesday, February 17, 2010

how many points? (m)

I was careful all day yesterday and, by 11:30 p.m., was under my point allocation for the day.  I spent most of the evening watching the men's short program on the Olympics and that took my mind off nighttime eating...my problem zone.

I went down to the kitchen at 11:35 p.m. to unload the dishwasher.  There, on the stove, was a pot of pasta, left there for my nephew who said he would be downstairs later to eat it.  I figured he was not coming for it and started to pour it into a storage container.

As I was doing that, the last male skater took to the ice.  I didn't know this skater and all the ones I cared about already had skated.  I concentrated on my chores.

I knew I had a couple of points to spare and took one forkful of pasta.  It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I finished the bite.

The skater finished his program.  "How many points?" Harrison asked me.  We often try to guess what the judges will give the skaters for points.

I have no idea.  I'm not paying attention, I said.

"You HAVE to pay attention!" he demanded.

I looked up at him.  You are taking this too seriously, I said.

"And you're not taking this seriously enough!" he said.

You're getting crazy about this, I said.

"You were doing so well" he said.

And then we looked at each other and realized we were talking about two different things:  He was asking about my Weight Watchers point consumption and I thought he was asking me about the skater's score.

We had a good laugh and closed up for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment