Monday, February 22, 2010

tax time (lyn)

Once a year, around this time, I see Janet.  She’s been my accountant for as long as I can remember needing one.   Or more specifically, since my father’s best friend and CPA stopped doing my taxes.  So about 30 years.

At this point, I probably don’t even need to see an accountant, as I have no income.  There's no longer even a reason to itemize as I can’t get back more than what I’ve paid in.  Needless to say, my historical two hour meetings with Janet have been reduced to about 30 minutes (and that includes the non-tax questions about kids and life).

When I walk into her office, it looks as it always does.  Papers piled everywhere, and a couple of glasses on her desk.  This year, one glass is filled with ice tea (that looks good) and the other is filled with a watery brown-colored liquid that looks ghastly.  The drink has been made from the 1.5 pound bottle on her desk labeled 'NutriBiotic Vegan 80% Rice Protein Powder'  (in chocolate, no less).  I’m so grateful I don’t have to drink something that looks like that in order to stay healthy.  Maybe it tastes better than it looks.  It would have to for anyone to drink it.

As we do my taxes, Janet stays focused on the task.  She barely looks up as she asks the requisite questions about income, interest, health costs, etc.  I answer her questions, and am done so quickly that my NYC transit Metrocard allows me to get a free subway ride home and count it as a transfer.

As I am about to leave, Janet looks up and seems to notice me for the first time.   “Unemployment agrees with you.  I'm telling you;  you're glowing.”  And just like that, my lack of work turns into a benefit.  At least for a short moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment