Sunday, February 28, 2010

wake-up call (m)

My brother, Phil, wakes me up at 8 a.m.   I had just fallen asleep from a night of pain with my knee.

"Your name is in the paper."

Apparently, I'm on the list of people with unclaimed property.  The list is put out by the Treasurer's Office of the State of Massachusetts.  It says it can be from uncashed bonus checks...forgotten bank accounts...unclaimed refunds from credit card companies...or even, I could be the beneficiary of someone's estate or life insurance policy.  The article has a section of testimonials where people are quoted saying they have used their money to pay four years' college tuitions or to take that long-awaited vacation.

I don't know how much is there or where it came from.  The Treasurer's office doesn't open until Monday morning.

Meanwhile, I've already planned what I'm going to do with my newfound inheritance:  buy a proper red wrap-around dress by Diane von Furstenberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment